How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10778
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I gave my daughter the family home with a hand written letter

This answer was rated:

I gave my daughter the family home with a hand written letter stating so.
We both signed the letter. In a court of law, would this be enough proof that I had given it to her ?

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I'm afraid it is not proof that the legal ownership has passed to your Daughter. To enable the gift to be legal, you would either have to sign a Will, leaving the property to your Daughter or if you wanted to transfer the legal ownership now, you would need to sign a Land Registry Transfer document in front of a non family member, and then register the same at the Land Registry.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I understand what you say but the letter prove that was my intention to give my daughter the house on that date even though it was transfered at a later date ?

Yes, it is evidence you intended to give your Daughter the property on that date, but until the Land Registry Transfer document is signed, no legal transfer has taken place.
Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you