How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10779
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I currently have a Joint Tenancy (Rental through agent) The

This answer was rated:

I currently have a Joint Tenancy (Rental through agent) The relationship has ended and I have moved out. I have been sent a Deed of Assignment however I do not want to sign as I still have a large amount of items to recover. The other tenant has locked all doors and refusing me access stating harassment, and will call Police. I still have keys, and at present the tenancy is still in both names. It is a periodic tenancy. What can I do? Should is sign. Can the tenancy be changed without my authorisation? The other tenant has already moved direct debits etc form our Joint Account to their personal account.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

If I were you, I would drop a letter through the letter box stating that you will sign the Deed of Assignment, once your item have been returned.

As I am sure you are aware, as soon as the Deed of Assignment has been signed, that will mean you no longer have any legal right to go into the property.

If you are unable to collect your items, via the above method, you are still legally entitled to gain access while the Tenancy is in joint names. Indeed, you are entitled to use reasonable force to gain access. However, I am sure you don't wish any trouble, and I would either ask the Letting Agent to accompany you one day to collect your items or contact the Police and state there may be a breach of the peace if you were to go alone, and ask if they will accompany you (if he say there may be an ensuing argument, they may attend with you).

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you