How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35069
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner has recently been given parental responsibility

This answer was rated:

My partner has recently been given parental responsibility and we have so far maanged to agree to visitation rights as of Dec 2013. OUr daughter is 4 yrs old. Q 1)My ex partner has now refused to cooperative with me in supporting my religious values in terms of raising our daughter. I have accepted that our daughter can enjoin christmas celebrations with her father, at school or other gatherings. He has refused to support my religious (esp dietary) values. He has clearly expressed his opinions that he will feed her anything he desires as long as it is a healthy balance diet. I suspect this conflict wil extend to other religious matters. What can i do? Do i have a legal rights to ensure that our daughter is not being confusing upbring in terms of dietary matters? Q2) My ex partner wants to take our daughter on holiday. He has never taken her away for more than 4 nights in the UK, let alone abroad. I have requested that we manage this on an incremental basis: ie he takes her away in the UK for a few nights and then takes her abroad when they are both confortable with the holidaying experience. Query1) He wants to take her away for 7 days - am i right to request incremental arrangements i.e up to 7 days as she gets older (as she is always coming home from extra long weekend visits with her dad saying she missed me and then becomes subdued, often saying to are we coming home when we go out)? Query 2) He wants to take a female friend and have this female friend (not g/f) share the same Hotel bedroom with XXXX and himself on holiday. I disagree that this is wrong - no friend should be sharing a family bedroom on holiday. I accept that if it was his g/f then i would have no say in the matter ( according to the law - correct me if i am wrong)

Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Could you explain the dietary limitations of your faith please.
If your daughter has already spent four nights with her father is that not sufficient to agree 7 days in the Uk this year?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dietary requirements = halal consumption under the Islamic faith.

7 nights = i agree but i wish to increment this as she gets older , rather than force onto her when she is only just getting use to 4 nights. Is this not a legitimate ask?

Re friend sharing hotel bedroom,can i have a legal response please.

Thank you for questions.

I am afraid that the court is likely to say that if your daughter is already seeing her father for four nights at a time then the next step is indeed that he takes her away for a week.
You do however have a good chance of limiting the first holiday to the UK rather than abroad
You are also correct - there is no basis on which a "family friend" of either sex should share a bedroom with them.
Only if he has a full time partner MIGHT this be appropriate
The dietary issue is harder as it is very difficult to assess what the approach of the court will be
There is some case law relating to religious issues such as
which are not hopeful - however of you can show that there was to start with an agreement that the child should be brought up in this way you do have a chance of success
I am sorry - none of this news is good but I am afraid that it is a reasonable reflection of your position
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thanks for the response.

Much appreciated.

I just wanted to clarify that the father is currently seeing her every other weekend for 2 nights (Fri to Sunday) an dplus mid week visit.

I am happy to extend his weekend arrangement to 5 days/4 nights as a permanant arrangement for term breaks holidays with her father, owing to the fact the she always comes back from her stay a bit frazzled saying that she misses me ( and have soiled herself for a few days thereafter) in the past. This to me says she is not ready for a full week break with her father. For this reason i wish to increase the holiday arrangements ( ie easter breaks, summer holidays, etc) to 5 days at a time from the usual weekend arrangement.

Is this not reasonable until she becomes a bit older say 7 yrs onwards?

Of course she misses you - I would be worried if she didn't, and I understand all too well how you feel about the holiday being too long at present.
However I am afraid that the court will not delay holidays until the child is 7.
You do have a chance of delaying it slightly - but not that long I am afraid - at a push you could get it put off to next year - BUT you may then have to accept that it will be abroad
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

(PS any chance you can remove my daughter's name from the 1st emaill?)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. You have been fair and reasonable with your answers.

I wish to close the discussion.

(PS any chance you can remove my daughter's name from the 1st emaill?)

Many thanks - I hope all goes well.
I will make sure the name is removed