How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am a British citizen (born in the UK) currently living in

Customer Question

I am a British citizen (born in the UK) currently living in Russia and married to a Russian citizen. I also have French nationality as my father is French. My wife and I have a 2-year-old child, born in Russia, who has Russian and French passports, though I will be applying for a British passport for him shortly. I am self-employed as an English teacher in Russia but with no proof of income (cash) and I own an online store based in the UK which generates very little income. My wife has substantial income in Russia, partly from self-employment, partly company dividends. We want to start spending most of our time in our house in the UK (so our son can start school there) as of summer 2016. My wife currently has a general visitor visa till summer 2016. Can you advise on the best type of visa to apply for, both in the short term (as of next summer) and in the longer term?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

For short term visits up to 6 months at a time, a visitor visa is the most appropriate (a new application may be made for a new multiple entry visitor visa) and for long term residency (i.e. longer than 6 months), a spouse visa is required.

May I help further?