How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71145
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

, I bought a bed in the UK from vispring. The bed

This answer was rated:

dear sir,
I bought a bed in the UK from vispring. The bed has appearance problems whereby the mattress is larger than the divan and aesthecially it looks wrong. Both the matress and divan were made bespokely by Vispring at the same time to be used together. Its about 2cm too wide at both the left and right side of the bed whereas in their brochures the mattess is always slightly more narrow than the divan. it will never look tidy as it is now, it looks like the matress and divan are from different places. Note that the bed cost several thousands.
I shipped the bed to cyprus immediatly and use it there.
Do UK laws on trading standards still apply even though the bed left the UK?
Could i use the small claims court or would the bed have to be returned to the UK to be able to open a case with teh small claims court?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
If the sale was in the UK then the Sale of Goods Act applies to it. You would not need to return the bed to claim per se. If they say that they will offer an exchange or repair then you would have to return it though.
The problem with using the small claims court procedure is that you would need an address in the UK. I don't know whether you have one. You don't need to live at that address as long as you make clear on the forms that it is a service address.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you