How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My ex wife and daughter have been maligning me quite badly

This answer was rated:

My ex wife and daughter have been maligning me quite badly for some months and have only become aware of it. The accusations are shocking and untrue. How do i stop this ?I know sometimes these things get out of hand but all i want them to do is stop
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
To whom are they making these allegations?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To anyone that they meet generally . My daughter had an altercation with her friend and they fell out then all this information came out in the fall out . A friend of mine happened upon the incident and then the other party told them that i had been abusing my daughter for years,had broken her nose and had raped my ex wife. Also an alegation i had abused my son etc etc the list goes on. Im gutted and cant believe that they have come out with this. My daughter has aspergers and a few other Autistic spectrum disorders.another accusation isthat i pay nothing even though i gave them the housein the divorce 6 years ago and still pay the mortgage etc

Well, it will come from the mother. They trott out allegations of abuse when they can't have what they want now.
I suppose your daughter has no money?
Does your wife?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I always did what i felt was best for them i just gave over the houseand kept paying mortgage and some bills. i honestlydont know about the money thing as i keep to myself and was having contact with my daughter until she was abusive to my fiancee. Hannah is on some form of disability payment as she has social problems and doesnt interact well and not very employable. In two years when my son 18 i stop paying.

Ok. There is no point in suing them for defamation then.
I'm not sure what you do want to do about this? They are not making allegations to the police so this isn't a case of perverting the course of justice or wasting police time.
You could sue in harassment. The question is what is the point. They will never pay the award. The point making be to get an injunction to stop them repeating these allegations. That can be worth doing sometimes. It is costly but the injunction might be valuable. It depends whether you think they would comply with it. Often the problem lies in the fact that they lack the judgment that it takes to see the difference between a genuine emergency and their stupid attention seeking claims.
Another option is to get a solicitor to write to them threatening defamation. That would cost about £100 plus VAT but it is often very effective.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So really ive no recourse other than a letter . All i want is for my name to be cleared and for them to sstop this slandering me

Well, only what I suggested above. Proving a negative is always very difficult.