How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am looking to set up a subscription based company that would

This answer was rated:

I am looking to set up a subscription based company that would include its UK members receiving free bonus DVDs. The dvds themselves would be unclassified material (generally a US import) and would be independent horror films without a BBFC classification. As per the video recordings act I cannot sell unclassified material, and I think this also extends to giving it away for free. My question is can the above be done by any/all of these scenarios:
a) registering the company outside the UK but operating from within the uk including shipping the items from the UK
b)registering and operating within the UK but having the DVDs ship from USA directly to subscribers
c) as a last resort instead of actually giving the DVD away giving away a 'token' for the subscriber to use directly with the overseas source, and then I pay the source any shipping costs.
d) the site will also operate as a portal for overseas filmakers to sell their own films from their own profiles. As I am just hosting this service and am not receive any part of the sales is it acceptable to give subscribers vouchers to redeem on the site to purchase unclassified material from overseas?
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I am happy to continue to wait for the moment. Many thanks
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
A) no - you can not do this as operating in the UK you would come under classification
B) Yes this is the best option
C) Again, you should do this ONLY if it is shipped from outside of the UK
D) Yes that is fine
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok brilliant, so in a nutshell as long as it is shipped from overseas I can supply unclassified items within the uk. In regards ***** ***** d) would I be able to just offer a subscriber a free dvd from an independent filmmaker and just have them ship it from abroad without the need to use a 'voucher' and instead I just arrange it?
That is my only additional question on it, many thanks, ***** ***** high
Yes that is fine.
IF it is supplied from the UK you will struggle. But if its supplied outside the UK you are fine.
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you