How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

we obtained a judgment against our builder through the mcol

This answer was rated:

we obtained a judgment against our builder through the mcol process.
He did not react during the statutory period - but now has applied for judgment to set aside.
His motivation appears to be that we would have told him that we would drop the case. Obviously we never said this.
What are the factors that a judge will take into account when deciding on his application?
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
What did you obtain a judgment for? Breach of contract?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes - it was breach of contract

Thank you.
Do they have any defence to the breach? Was the breach based on a failure to provide the service correctly?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, he just left in the middle of a fixed price contract, which we had paid in full

Thank you.
The criteria for setting aside a default judgment are contained in Civil Procedure Rule 13.
The threshold is very low - the defendant need only show a real prospect of successfully defending the claim. It is not impossible that the judge may uphold the default judgment - but it is more likely they will give the defendant an opportunity to defend the claim and probably penalise them in costs if they have deliberately ignored the proceedings.
Just because the have applied to set the judgment aside, you can still take enforcement action. For example have looked into a warrant of execution (bailiffs)?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you