How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am a German citizen and residing in the UK since September

Customer Question

I am a German citizen and residing in the UK since September 1973 - I have no criminal record or points on my driving license. As there is now the possibility of the UK leaving the EU I want a British passport as well as my German one. How do I go about it and how long will it take. I would quite lilke to vote in the next election. XXXXX XXXXX Date of Birth XXXX XXXX

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
You need to apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen.
You are exempt from the knowledge of life in the UK and English language tests because you are older than 65 years.
The form to apply on is AN, see here
Details of the fees are here
I would recommend you to use the Nationality Checking Service at the nearest local authority to you, see here
Hope this helps