How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10732
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My husband passed away on 17.1.2015. Our home is in joint

This answer was rated:

My husband passed away on 17.1.2015. Our home is in joint names, do I need to get this amended into my name alone?

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

Do you know if you held your property as "joint tenants" or "tenants in common".

(You would probably only hold it as tenants in common, if you both had made Wills, leaving your half share of the property to a third party- your children for example).

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 3 years ago.


As far as I know we were joint owners of the property, we have no children.

Thanks Monica.

You will therefore be holding the property as "Joint tenants". As such, the whole of the property passes automatically to you by survivorship (like a joint Bank account).

You don't therefore really need to do anything with the Deeds, in that as and when the property is sold, the only evidence a Buyers Solicitor will require to show that you are the sole legal owner is a copy of your late Husband's death certificate.

However, if you wish, you can send a copy of your Husband's death certificate to the Land Registry now, and they will then remove his name from the title. There is no fee for this.

I attach the relevant link to the Land Registry website-

I hope this helps and answers your question.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you