How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34910
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My daughter has found out that her husband has ben cheating

Customer Question

My daughter has found out that her husband has ben cheating on her with a friend of theirs for the last 7 months. He has moved out and is living with his father.
In clearing out his wardrobe she has discovered a large sum of cash that he has hidden away. Could you please answer the following question.
1) As they are man and wife, I think she is entitled to at least half of the money, is that the case.
Could you also please advise on the following;-
2) Is she entitled to get the locks on the house changed yet.
3) How soon is she entitled to claim maintainance for the 2 children from him
4) Can she insist that he has to continue paying the mortgage on the house.
Many thanks Chris Styles
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
She should count the money and confirm to her ex that she is aware of it - but no she cannot simply take half of it.
1. She cannot change the locks so long as he is a joint owner of the property
2. If he has left then he can claim Child Maintenance immediately
3. Not if he is not living there unless the difference in their incomes allows her to claim Spouse maintenance
Please ask if you nee further details