How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

i defaulted on mortgage in spain when I moved back to Britain

Customer Question

i defaulted on mortgage in spain when I moved back to Britain due to ill health I have a property here what can the Spanish bank do to recover any money owing
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know whether the Spanish bank has judgment or know where you live in the UK?
JACUSTOMER-osqngbo7- :

they don't know where I live they could have judgment by now its about 3 years ago

JACUSTOMER-osqngbo7- :

hi alex if in the future if the banks do get in touch who do I see to get legal advice

JACUSTOMER-osqngbo7- :

hi I understand that letters in Spanish have been sent to my wifes sisters house I think they are saying we owe 42000 eur

Alex Watts : In theory if they have judgment in Spain then they can get a charge on your UK property and seek an order for sale.
Alex Watts : Judgments in Spain can be enforced in the UK as they are in the EU.
JACUSTOMER-osqngbo7- :

would I have to go to court in the uk to defend it

JACUSTOMER-osqngbo7- :

can they enforce it without letting me know first

Alex Watts : They would need to seek permission of the UK court.
Alex Watts : Yes you can object in the uk
Alex Watts : Does that help?
JACUSTOMER-osqngbo7- :

would they have already been to a uk court by this time or do they need to contact me first

JACUSTOMER-osqngbo7- :

if they have been to uk court how do I find out

Alex Watts :

No, you would know if they had it in Court in the UK. You would have a notification of a charge on your house

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?

JACUSTOMER-osqngbo7- :

hi alex it took to long to answer the questions

Alex Watts : It was answered within a few hours,
Alex Watts : Is there anything else I can help with?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: