How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

we left a premises 16 months ago and at the time of

Customer Question

we left a premises 16 months ago and at the time of leaving all utility meters were read by both party's ourselves and the new owners and readings telephoned through to the relevant utility companiesi in the presence of all concerned , we dutifully received final bills forwarded to our new address and paid them straight away.
Now some sixteen months later the new owners are disputing one of the final readings that were done when we left ... Suggesting that the date was given as the reading instead of the actual meter reading ... Incidentally the disputed reading Is 6483 which has no resemblance to any date whatsoever .
We have to hand records of all our accounts going back over twenty years which show our average consumption and usage .
We did photograph the meters at that time on my telephone for security just incase , however we unfortunately no longer have that phone having had a new one this Christmas
We are adamant that we have paid all monies that we owed ,
we suspect that after receiving a large bill they are attempting to get their Bills reduced by saying the initial reading was incorrect
Surly this is fraud ,
They appear to be attempting to de fraud the utility company and ourselves
Please advise
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Have you had your deposit back please?
JACUSTOMER-g5x6ohwz- : ..
JACUSTOMER-g5x6ohwz- : What deposit???
Alex Watts :

Money back from which you were renthing.

Alex Watts :

* renting *

Alex Watts :

What is it you want to achieve?

JACUSTOMER-g5x6ohwz- : Sorry there seems to be a communication problem .... The answer you have given has no connection with my query or relevance ... Have never rented a property anywhere??
Alex Watts :

Ok, you said you left a property 16 months ago, I assumed you had rented it.

Alex Watts :

Do you have any backups of the photos you took, ie on Icoud?

JACUSTOMER-g5x6ohwz- : Hello , we at that time owned the property freehold ...and subsequently sold the freehold to these people ... As stated we did have the photos but after some sixteen months had elapsed and also having paid all the final accounts I did not see any need to hang on to any photos of utility meters . I purchased a new phone and have a new sim and no ... The old phone had the photos and they were not uploaded to iCloud .
JACUSTOMER-g5x6ohwz- : unfortunatly the old phone was scrapped ... It was about ten years old.
Alex Watts :

Have they threatened proceedings?

JACUSTOMER-g5x6ohwz- : No the utility company are asking us to pay the extra monies ...
Alex Watts :

Ok, without any evidence though?

JACUSTOMER-g5x6ohwz- : i have stated to them that as we have all our receipts from them stating FINAL accounts which we paid .... And the obvious elapsed time since we were at the property , together with the records of our previous account history and usage for over 25 years it is unreasonable to assume that we are responsible
Alex Watts :

Thank you. Indeed the only thing they can do is chase you.

Alex Watts :

You should write a formal complaint and ask to use the complaints procedure.

Alex Watts :

The will then have to investigate this and give you a final response.

Alex Watts :

If you are not happy with that then you can go to the Ombudsman. They provide an independent free service and can be found at:

Alex Watts :

If they tried to take you to Court they would have to prove you gave wrong readings - clearly they can't

Alex Watts :

In any event any sum claimed less than £10,000 would be a small claim

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: