How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71133
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

We have just lost a case in the county court over a sum

This answer was rated:

Hi We have just lost a case in the county court over a sum of money that a client paid to us We had previously granted this customer a line of credit at present standing at £82,510.00 He had wanted a further vehicle and a piece of plant equipment from us but due to lack of payments on vehicles and equipment sold to him we attributed his payment to offset against his liability to us The company i work for had not submitted paper work on time for this hearing and he was awarded payment of £20,987 inc cost and no re-dress against this but can we take this to the high court and have it turned over due to his outstanding debt and sue for payment to us
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can we take this back to court or high court to get this overturned

On what basis please?
What is the specific point of appeal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the amount of money he owes us from items hes had and not paid for

But what is the relevance of that to this particular claim?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its an ongoing account and he hasnt made any effort to reduce this but wanted money returned and increase his debt to us at the same time which we told him wasnt an option until his debt came down so he used a specific item to go to court and extract money back surely if you were owed the amount due by someone you wouldnt pay them £20k when they owed you £82k

Why didn't you counter claim for the sums you were owed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my company owner didnt get paper work in time so we were not allowed to put infront of the judge at the hearing

So the issue is that you didn't get the summons.
Do they have the right address for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes they have correct address but sometimes post is delayed and does go to other places as our postcode carries over to different area

Did the judge dismiss the other £62,000?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He wouldnt even let me introduce it into court i was not allowed to input anything just sat as a witness to proceedings

How much did you put down as being the amount claimed under the initial claim?
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71133
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We didnt put anything down as not allowed to this is why we need to see if we can get this reversed in a higher court to show and prove how much he owes us

I am not certain the I have any ideas that can help you with this so I'm going to opt out for another expert to consider.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thank you for your time

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help with this.
What specifically would you like to know?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm asking same question as earlier or do I have to go through it all again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you able to help with this question

Were you claimant or Detendant?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

defendant have you not been able to read previous texts on this question ?

Did you submit ANY evidence to Court?
Was it a full trial?
Had you served witness statements?