How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71146
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Jo. I hope you can help as I am really worried about a situation.

This answer was rated:

Hi Jo. I hope you can help as I am really worried about a situation. I contacted askalawyer yesterday. Their website says that they can pass onto the police any info they feel is a criminal offence. The situation is that last Friday I stupidly took a small amount of cocaine. It is my last and only time as I felt ashamed afterwards and told my parent. Could askalawyer pass this info onto the police? I stress again that this was a one off event, I am a law abiding citizen who has made a stupid mistake. I am worried that the police could charge me even though I do not and will not ever again take drugs. Thank you.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Yes, they could but there is no case to answer because they cannot seize the drugs so cannot ascertain whether it is prohibited substances or not.
Nothing will ever happen about this.
Just concentrate on your life, don't commit actions that are obviously unlawful and have nothing to do with people who have a history of making allegations of abuse whatever their excuses are and you will never come to the attention of the police.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo, that has put my mind at ease. If do happen to pass this onto the police, could the police give me a warning or a caution about my behaviour? Is a caution or warning classed as a criminal record? Thank you.

Yes, consumption of drugs is against the law obviously.
But they have to prove that this particular specimen was a prohibited substance which they can't do because they can't seize it.
I wouldn't worry. They are much too busy mediating domestic squabbles that are euphemistically called 'domestic violence' to deal any proper crime in the UK. If they have any resources over then usually they are devoted to prosecuting elderly men for trying to kiss somebody 100 years ago.
Nothing will happen over this.