How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am owed £38,000 pounds of personal debt from my ex-partner

Customer Question

I am owed £38,000 pounds of personal debt from my ex-partner if 3 years. We have a written agreement between ourselves that he will maintain payments of £3,000 per month until the debt is paid off. I am wanting to get an official agreement written up with a solicitor for my own price of mind, as my ex-partner has proven to be dishonourable with his agreements in the past.
He is a Welsh citizen, I am an Australian citizen, is it possible to get the agreement with a solicitor in London? Or is it more beneficial to get a solicitor in Wales?
Also, I have been informened that once he has legally acknowledged his debt to me, I am able to get a hold put on his property he owns, so he will not be able to sells it etc until his debt to me is settled. I think this may be called a Caveat? Is this possible?
Thank you so very much for your assistance and information.
Kindest Regards, *****
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it is possible to get an acknowledgement of debt/loan agreement drawn up by a Solicitor in London. England and Wales is a single legal jurisdiction, so it would not really be beneficial to get a Welsh solicitor draw up the document and at the same time, it would not be detrimental.

It depends on the legal fees you are able to negotiate with a solciitor in London and compare this with the fees of the solicitor in Wales.

Even before the above document is drawn up and signed, you may now lodge a unilateral notice or an agreed notice at the Land Registry against his property, see here:

You may wish to consult a local conveyancer to assist you with the filing of the notice at the Land Registry.

Hope this helps