How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

, the police have dropped all further action against a perpetrator

This answer was rated:

Hi, the police have dropped all further action against a perpetrator who finally admitted causing continual criminal damage to my car over a two year period. The perpetrator is currently in rehab for alcoholism but I'm still out of pocket to the tune of £4000. Despite his admission, the police say they have insufficient evidence to prosecute. What recourse do I have, if any, to recover the insurance excess for repairs?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is this person working?
Does he have assets?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Until entering rehab, he worked in a pub/hotel. I'm assuming he will return to this job after rehab because, I believe it's part of a family business owned by his parents.

He had a Lexus saloon car with personalised number plates which, I believe, belongs to him. But it hasn't been seen since he entered rehab.

You can always sue him in the civil courts. This is a small claims court sum so it would be cheap and quick to issue against him. You can do so here
In fairness, even if the police had prosecuted him that would still have not secured the money for you.
There is no way of forcing the police to prosecute if they refuse. It is ultimately a decision they are free to make I'm afraid.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you