How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

, I am a French citizen living in the UK past

Customer Question

I am a French citizen living in the UK for the past 25 years. My parents are Mauritian nationals. I understand that as a French citizen living permanently in the UK, I can apply for a residence card for them under some circumstances outlined at the link below.
I have the following questions after having the read the information on the above page, and would be grateful for some professional guidance.
1 Does it matter that my parents are not French .. they hold Mauritian Nationality. Could we still apply for a residence card for them?
2 They are not completely financially dependent on me but I do help towards their living cost - does this count and how would I go about proving this? I sometimes send money via bank transfer and sometimes via family members travelling over there.
3 My dad is 81 yrs old and has started suffering from memory loss which is putting him at risk, as well as hypertension, diabetes and a mild form of Parkinson's disease. My mum suffers from severe OCD and is heavily dependent on my dad for all matters outside of the house like food shopping, paying utility bills, managing their finances etc. Are these classed as serious health conditions? Basically, if my Dad is no longer able to handle external activities, then my Mum will not be able to pick this up.
4 Who decides if a condition is serious or not? Would they need to pay for tests and whatever else to prove a medical condition serious enough to warrant them being eligible to apply for the residence card?
5 Whilst on holiday here, if either of them should need medical / hospital treatment, could they qualify for free treatment or would they have to pay for their treatment?
6 If and when they obtain a residence card, then would they qualify for free medical treatment as we do (NHS and GP)?
7 Would they need to remain here for 6 months as visitors before they could apply for residence card or can this be done shortly after they arrive?
8 How long does it take to obtain a residence card?
Many thanks for your help and advice.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
1) no it does not matter that they are not the same nationality as you, they may still apply for a residence card;
2) they should not have another source of income and rely on you for their day to day expenses, rent etc. proof of you sending money to them is bank transfers, letters from family members confirming you sent money with them etc, western union documents etc
3) yes, this appear to be serious health issues which require your personal care for their day to day needs;
4) doctors letters etc. the home office decides whether they qualify for residency under the EEA regulations;
5) they will qualify for free emergency treatment on the NHS, not routine treatment which they will have to pay for personally;
6) yes as they will be ordinarily residing in the UK at the point;
7) this may be done whenever;
8) it can take up to 6 months.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Rating your service as 'ok' as the moderator of this forum advised us we could use the reply function as many times as we wanted until we were satisfied with the response, totally free of charge. However, you did not want to answer our further questions to initial response, and asked us to submit the question separately and pay again before you would answer.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Do you still need further assistance?