How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was accused of claiming benefit and not telling them about

This answer was rated:

I was accused of claiming benefit and not telling them about my savings i paid nearly eight thousand pounds back that was overpaid to me and now i have received a letter to go to court and am so stressed out what shall i do
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Are you asking what sentence you will get?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will i get sentenced for this even though i have paid the overpayment of income support all back i thought the case would of been closed after paying it all back

Yes, you could be prosecuted despite the repayment.
Repaying the sums does not mean they cannot prosecute. It is a fraud like any other. Returning the money does not mean a person cannot be prosecuted for fraud.
The fact that the money has been repaid will be a mitigating feature.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you