How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My partner Tim has a jewellery shop in Wallasey and the

Customer Question

Hi My partner Tim has a jewellery shop in Wallasey and the tenant above has flooded the shop out completely and it has had to close down
The landlord has buildings cover so the electrics etc are all being sorted but it seems that due to a mix up on insurance (as Tim thought it was all on one policy through letting agents as he pays half the insurance) it seems he does not have contents cover and a lot of his stock and his cabinets etc are ruined not to mention his loss of wages and rent - that he is still paying
The property above is owned and managed by The Property Centre in Wallasey but they wont give out any details of insurance and say it is nothing to do with them even though their tenant has caused all this
Firstly - do they have to provide their insurance details ?
& secondly can Tim still claim off them directly for his losses, fixtures and fittings etc even though he doesn't have his own policy of insurance in place for contents
I look forward to hearing from you
thanks in advance
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

There is no legal obligation on them to disclose their insurance details.

Tim may take direct legal action against the tenant who caused the flooding and he may also include the property's managers (The Property Center) as co-defendants with the tenant.

The final decision as to whether or not Tim has a valid claim will lie with the court. He may make a claim for up to 100,000 pounds online at

Hope this helps