How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10777
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I have damp problems in my house. After paying independent

This answer was rated:

I have damp problems in my house.
After paying for an independent damp survey, it was noted that my neighbours (rented property) concrete path running to their back garden is covering my damp course and filling my air bricks.
This path was there when I moved in, so my insurance company say it is not their responsibility and my “homebuyer’s” survey (the more expensive one) says that they could not get access to the side of the house.
So, who is responsible for the damages to my property? Or is this one of those expensive things I am going to have to learn from?

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I take it that you had the independent damp survey after you moved in?

Does the Homebuyers Survey mention anything about damp?

I look forward to hearing from you.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

From what I remember no. Although I will have to re-read to make sure.



Thanks for your reply.

Well, firstly, you did of course buy the property in its existing condition, so your Insurers are correct in that they won't pay out, as it was an existing problem.

Your only possible claim, therefore, is against your Surveyor-

I would certainly have hoped that your Surveyor would have checked for damp from within the property, and if this was not picked up, you may well have a claim against him.

You therefore need to check the Homebuyers Report- if of course it did mention that there is damp (and recommend a further report be commissioned), then I'm afraid you have no claim and you will have to foot the bill for any remedial works.

If the Homebuyers did not mention any damp, you would then have to prove that it should have been spotted, and make a claim against the Surveyor.

I hope this assists and set sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you