How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71133
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Can a person be served with a DVPN (Domestic Violence Protection

This answer was rated:

Can a person be served with a DVPN (Domestic Violence Protection Notice) for hitting a relative who is a minor in the family home? Hasten to add, writing a story. This hasn't actually happened!
Jo C. :

Hi. Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Can you respond now?
Are you seeing my messages ok?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So far you have sent me an acknowledgement and a request to respond but I am not seeing any other messages

Yes, they could use that provision in relation to a minor. 'Domestic violence' is a very wide umbrella now which is why statistically it appears a much bigger issue than it really is.
It is fair to say that the police do not generally use these notices to protect minors. It is not really in keeping with the ethos of the legislation.
It is also fair to say that the full orders are not granted particularly often but they could seek one.
The condition is that the alleged assault must be committed by a person over the age of 18.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, please clarify - from what I understand you to be saying, the police are legally entitled to issue a DVPN to an adult who has allegedly carried out a threat or violence or actual violence on a minor but that it would be an unusual step because the DVPN is usually issued in situations where an adult is alleged to have committed violence against another adult. Is this correct?

Well, it is not that it is an assault upon an adult but an assault upon a person with whom they are in a primary relationship. That is what most people would think of as a domestic.
Assaults upon children of an unlawful nature are just child neglect or child cruelty and pursued under that charge. If there is an immediate danger then a referral is made to social services.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you