How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49852
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have paid electricians course plus an extra £1000

This answer was rated:

I have paid for an electricians course plus an extra £1000 for the advanced course, I have completed 50% of the course and had 2 extensions due to family life. I received a letter informing me they can not continue to offer me tuition but have given no reason for this. Can I claim back 50% of the course cost plus the £1000 extra. There is no wording in the contract for time allowed to do the course and I have not been told verbally I have a set time frame for completion. I would appreciate any help on what I can do about this as I am not getting any advice from citizens advice
Kind regards ***** *****
*****@******.*** ***********
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Have you done any of the advanced part of the course?

JACUSTOMER-zdghk3x0- : No
JACUSTOMER-zdghk3x0- : There are 4 stages to complete and then the advanced section, I have completed 2 stages
Ben Jones :

Sorry my connection dropped earlier. If the course provider has cancelled your contract with them and refused to honour their part of the agreement they would need to show that they either had the contractual right to do so, or that you had acted in fundamental breach of contract yourself.

So first f all you should check the contract to see if they could cancel it early for any reason and also what that means in terms of a refund for the remaining fees. Similarly, you should check to see if there were examples of what could constitute a serious breach on your part that would justify them cancelling the contract early.

It is also worth noting that they cannot just keep the money you have paid for additional courses or even for the existing course you were doing, unless they can show they had suffered some losses. Let’s say that the advanced course had not even started yet and they had the opportunity to find a replacement for your place then it is unlikely that they can justify keeping these fees as they would not have suffered losses.

So whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

  1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.

  2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

  3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

JACUSTOMER-zdghk3x0- : That's all I wanted to know, can they just keep my money.
JACUSTOMER-zdghk3x0- : That's all I wanted to know can they just keep my money.
JACUSTOMER-zdghk3x0- : they sent me the letter
JACUSTOMER-zdghk3x0- : i replied to the letter that they should give me a refund, they replied that they sent a letter, I replied again about them owning me a refund and have not heard from them for about 4 weeks now maybe more. I will send them an email according to your advice and hopefully get a responce from that. You have been really helpfull and I thank you kind regards ***** *****
Ben Jones :

you are most welcome, hope that you get somewhere by following my advice above. All the best

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ben,

Just an update for you following your advice.

The defendant didn't reply to me after 10 days so I started legal proceedings, today I received an acknowledgement of service letter giving the defendant 28 days to file their case as they are contesting my claim. In your honest opinion whats my chance of getting my money back.



Prospects of success are very difficult to predict, I have no idea what the other party's intentions are what their financial situation is whether they will actually defend this. So you will just have to see how things pan out but remember that even if you win it does not guarantee payment as you will still have to go and enforce the judgment like getting bailiffs or other methods until he pays