How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35050
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I got divorced from my ex husband in 1992. I didn't go to court

This answer was rated:

I got divorced from my ex husband in 1992. I didn't go to court although my solicitor at the time told me we were, he said there was a backlog in the courts and it would take a while. I had been married for 24 years and was suffering from depression at the time. my ex husband, a barrister, insisted that all I was entitled to was the equity on the house, £11,000, and he wanted a clean break. I eventually sold the house I was still living in and ended up homeless. I eventually accepted the money and that was that. there wasn't a court case pending as I found out by ringing the court myself. does any of this sound right to you?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What other assets were there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

apart from the house that we lived in I don't know of any other assets. we had a car each.

Were there any children involved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no the youngest was eighteen at the time.

Hi Jo
What income did you each have at that time - and just to check you got all the assets
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was able to earn £12,000 a year when I could fine secretarial work which was few and far between at that time. my ex was earning around £50,000 a year.

It could be argued that you should also have received spouse maintenance given the difference in your incomes, but sadly there is nothing that you can do about it after all this time.
I wish I could tell you something different
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you