How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My wife is Northern Irish and I am looking to

This answer was rated:

My wife is Northern Irish and I am looking for leave to remain in the UK or at the very least in the EU, as I am a non-EU citizen (Russian). I have applied for the UK Spouse Visa but the criteria is quite tough to meet. As my wife can claim to be both Irish and British (at the moment she only has UK-Passport) is there a way for me to obtain leave to stay in Southern Ireland and then be legal in the UK as well?


Your wife may renounce her British Citizenship so that she only remains with Irish Citizenship. She should apply for an Irish passport to prove this.

Once this is done, and she is exercising treaty rights in the UK (e.g. working in NI), you may apply for a residence card using form EEA2.

I am not an Irish lawyer and you will have to consult one separately to see how you can reside in the Republic, as I can only advise on UK immigration law.

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you