How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10773
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My son and daughter in law moved into a house in May 2010 which

This answer was rated:

My son and daughter in law moved into a house in May 2010 which is shared ownership, having purchased 25% of the property. They would then be asked to pay rent on a monthly basis. Since that date they have never been asked to pay rent or service charges, despite us contacting them on numerous occasions. I contacted the company myself in April last year, and asked for them to sort out the problem as my daughter in law was making herself ill regarding the outstanding rent arrears, and I was told that they could only go back and claim 18 months Rent anyway. This matter has still not been resolved. Could you please advise where my son and daughter in law stand in this situation, as although they have some money saved, they don't have 5 years worth of rent.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Under the Limitation Act 1980, the Housing Association are entitled to claim back 6 years worth of rent, I'm afraid. However, as they have told you they will not pursue any rent over 18 months old, I would hope that as a gesture of goodwill, they will keep to their word on this.

I hope this clarifies the legal position to you.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you