How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I was involved in a car collision few months ago. Not my fault.

This answer was rated:

I was involved in a car collision few months ago. Not my fault. I am insured. The whole thing has come to conclusion and the insurance broker acting on behalf of my insurer sent me a cheque for £1305.05 (refund monies for the vehicle repair). I paid for the repair from my own pocket and the cost of repair was £1566.06. Simply speaking the broker sent me a cheque for the full amount less VAT.
My question is: Why didn't they send me the full amount of £1566.06. Can they do that? Why should I pay VAT and they don't?
I think that when I insure my vehicle I am fully covered for the cost of damage if the accident is not my fault. What should I do to get full amount of £1566.06 that I incurred paying for the repair of my vehicle? Should I send that cheque back to them? What should I do?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : If they send you the cheque then they should include VAT
Alex Watts : if they settle direct then it is less VaT as that is reclaimed.
Alex Watts : but indeed it should include vat
Alex Watts : You should write and formally complain. If that does not work then you can complain to the ombudsman who offer a free indepednet service and can investigate the case at
Alex Watts : Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-y3x1mcmg- :

Hello Alex,

Alex Watts : Hi
JACUSTOMER-y3x1mcmg- :

Thank you for your response. Therefore I should send them a letter of complaint by post I understand and demand the remaining £261.01 (VAT) to be sent to me by cheque or shall I return that cheque to them and demand the full amount of £1566.06?

Alex Watts : Unless the cheque was sent in full and final settlement you Can cash this as part payment
JACUSTOMER-y3x1mcmg- :

What is the time limit to submit the complaint with them? And what is the time limit with financial ombudsman?

Alex Watts : 3 months for ombudsman and 6 years for a claim
JACUSTOMER-y3x1mcmg- :

thank you very much for your help. bye

Alex Watts : haopy romhep
Alex Watts : to help.
Alex Watts : if I could ask you to rate my answer please before you go today, the button should be at the bottom of the screen
Alex Watts : if you need more help please click reply
JACUSTOMER-y3x1mcmg- :

do i need to tell them that if they don't agree to settle the rest of the amount I am going to direct the matter to the financial ombudsman?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex,

Are you available to provide me with some answers on different subject? Consumer law.



I am but might I ask you to post a new question?
Please start it for Alex and I that means it will come to me.