How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71051
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I failed to turn up to a court appearance speeding ticket

Customer Question

I failed to turn up to a court appearance for a speeding ticket in England I paid the fine in Scotland at the local court do I have a criminal record for failing to turn up to the court in England?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
No. You will be on a requisition not on bail so you don't commit an offence in failing to surrender. In legal theory it is a contempt of court but it is never prosecuted.
The risk with not attending is that you are tried in absence which racks up costs against you. But you do not have a criminal record if you didn't answer a summons.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the prompt response.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.