How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

my wife has received offenceive texts regarding her past abortions, can

This answer was rated:

my wife has received offenceive texts regarding her past abortions,
can we do anything about this?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know if she has saved them and who they are from?

Yes she has, they are from her niece, i think she has sent similar messages to her brother

Alex Watts :

Ok, she needs to report this to the Police.

Alex Watts :

The malicious communications act 1998 states:

Alex Watts :

(1)Any person who sends to another person—

(a)a [F1letter, electronic communication or article of any description] which conveys—

(i)a message which is indecent or grossly offensive;

(ii)a threat; or

(iii)information which is false and known or believed to be false by the sender; or

(b)any [F2article or electronic communication] which is, in whole or part, of an indecent or grossly offensive nature,

is guilty of an offence if his purpose, or one of his purposes,

Alex Watts :

So if it is grossly offensive it is an offence.

Alex Watts :

You should therefore report it to the Police who can investigate and prosecute where necessary.

Alex Watts :

It could also be harassment and the Police could warn them and also prosecute. She could also seek a civil injunction in the County Court to prevent them having any further contact

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Thanks for your advise, it was extremely helpful

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you