How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10780
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

, My name is ***** ***** I am not living in the UK at the

This answer was rated:

My name is ***** ***** I am not living in the UK at the moment, however, I believe I have a current debt on my credit card. As I ran out of the country overnight because of family problems I couldn’t sort out everything so I was wondering what can I do about it. I own the credit card company money, and on top of that, there is interest. Can I pay only the money I own without interest? Or Do I have to pay it all?
I do not have much Money available as I earn very little in Brazil, but I am willing to pay what I own.
What can I do?
Thanks for your time.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am not sure whether you intend to ever return to the UK, but if you are not, it is highly unlikely that the credit card company will chase you for the debt if you are living in Brazil.

As regards ***** ***** the credit card company will continue adding interest tot he debt, unless you contact them and provide evidence that you can't pay anything other than a small amount each month. They MAY, then agree to freeze the debt, and agree a monthly payment, which you can afford. You would then pay this monthly amount via a bank transfer/direct debit.

It is thereofr ereally up to you whether you contact them again and offer to make a payment or whether you keep quiet on the basis that you ar ein Brazil.

I hope this helps.

If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my Answer.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I am not sure whether I will return to the Uk or not, but I'd prefer not own the company any money in case I return, I would rather have the doors open. Do you think I could hire a lawyer to make sure a pay only the amount I actually own in the fist place or they can charge me the all thing anyway? What do you think would be a wise thing to do? And If I go back there just for holiday, can they go after me after for debt?

Thanks for your time.

Hi Erica,

I wouldn't waste your money in hiring a lawyer- just write to them yourself, explaining your financial situation means you can't afford the full amount, and say you would be prepared to pay £x per month, ifsk they freeze the interest. The credit card companies will normally freeze the interest for people in financial trouble.

As regards ***** ***** for a holiday, don't worry- they certainly can't do anything at all.

As it is an unsecured loan, the only action credit card companies can take, other than writing requesting payment, is to issue Court proceedings and put a charge on a customer's UK property.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you