How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

,I am currently a Mechanical Engineering student at Swansea

This answer was rated:

I am currently a Mechanical Engineering student at Swansea University and I reside in Student Housing with 9 other students. Our Residential Services has carried out a surprise inspection at around 7:30 pm today and has informed us that they will carry out further surprise inspections in the next following weeks to catch smokers in the property. As a tenant, i understand that smoking indoors is illegal so I never do so. However, their surprise inspections do still bother me because i prefer to be notified as I am not always "comfortable" for personnel in my house showing up every few days. All 9 of my house mates share the same views. What can I do to either stop these surprise inspections or request them to notify me as our tenancy agreement stated they would if they carried out inspections?

All 9 of you should get in touch with Residential Services, preferably by writing a letter signed by all of you, and inform them that all of you object to the unannounced inspections on the grounds of interference with your rights to privacy and peaceful use and occupation of the property and point out that they should give reasonable notice before making any future visits to your property as provided in your tenancy agreement.

The letter should also be copied to the Registrar and Chief Operating Officer of the University so that he is also aware of your grievance:

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you