How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71154
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been arrested, interviewd and bailed to return in

This answer was rated:

Hi I have been arrested, interviewd and bailed to return in a months time this relates to some items that I ordered while still at work, and now retired total of £534 work of goods, to which my solicitor said that I might get a caution if I plead guilty and pay for the goods. I'm not sure what the next step is do the police have to consult with my former employer to agree to this?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Will they agree to this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm Not sure if they would, however, the police do have to ask them is that correct?

They do have to consider the views of the victim. It is only one small factor that must be considered though so their views will not be decisive.
But their views must be canvassed.
If the case is otherwise suitable though then a caution should still be available.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If they want to prosecute, then it would be a court appearance, and as I have no previous and have never been arrested before would it just be a fine.?

Not for theft from employer realistically. If they do fine you then that would be a fantastic result.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What would be the normal sentence for theft from employer?

It depends on the amount and the circumstances but it is hugely aggravated version of theft.
It is probably too small an amount for custody but it is too serious for a fine or a conditional discharge. Probably a community order.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you