How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am a male if I divorce or separate with my wife what child

This answer was rated:

I am a male
if I divorce or separate with my wife what child visiting rights do I have and what maintenance payments do I have to make
Thank you for your question.
You and your wife have equal parental rights to the children. If it is decided that the children should live with your wife you would get contact to the children as often as is agreed between you and your wife. If you can't agree, the court would make a contact order that it considered to be in the children's best interests.
There is no specific general rule as to when contact operates. Each case is different.
As far as child maintenance is concerned, as a very general rule you would pay 15% of gross earnings for one child, 20% for two and 25% for three. There is a child maintnance calculator on the yougov website which can give you a fairly accurate assessment. I'll post the link below.
I hope this helps.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you