How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

, I am long term sick, housebound and disabled with an

This answer was rated:

Hello, I am long term sick, housebound and disabled with an incurable neurological disease. I have lived with my parents many years now and they want to leave me their home so I can have a roof over my head when they die and hopefully not have to move. Can I inherit the house in 50 percent equal shares ( as each of my parents die) without losing my benefit money? I claim non contributory ESA ( cash savings threshold £6,000) and PIP ( which is listed as a non-means tested benefit. Thank you
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
You are indeed allowed to own a house and still get both those non means tested benefits
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello, thank you for your reply to my question. However, to clarify, one of the benefits I recieve is non-contributiry Employment Support Allowance. I am not allowed to have cash savings above £16,000. If I inherited half the property of the house I live in ( when one parent dies etc) would this be viewed as cash finances, and disqualify me, or disregarded by the DWP.
Thank you
Owning the property that you live in - or a share of it - does not count as having a Cash Asset and will not effect any of your benefits