LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.

. My dear friend died a few days ago. I lived with her

Hello. My dear friend died a few days ago. I lived with her for the last 2 years. She left a will and appointed me as a sole executor of her will. She also left everything to me. The thing is she only has some personal belongings and a huge debts on her credit cards. Does it mean she also left me her debts? I don't want to be responsible of her debt. I can't afford it. What should I do? Please help me.

Hello, I am solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

She has not passed her debts on to you. You are not personally responsible for her debts.

JACUSTOMER-kmueysns- :

She left life insurance policy. Can I take all this money to pay for funeral and bills and keep the rest or I should give bank whatever is left to pay off some of her debts?

I will get back to you on this later today as I am just about to go into a meeting.

JACUSTOMER-kmueysns- :

OK, if I am not here sent me email. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-kmueysns- :

I have to go to work now. I hope you will answer my question about insurance money. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you answer my question?

The life policy proceeds fall outside the estate and therefore the creditors can not get their hands on it.