How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50159
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Do I have any rights with regard to an ongoing problem with

This answer was rated:

Do I have any rights with regard to an ongoing problem with my Dyson cleaner. I took out a contract with a firm called Appliance cover to maintain my cleaner , once yearly, in November during the yearly service the engineer said I needed a new brush roller, so he ordered it, I had to phone in December and was told new brush roller had arrived so we arranged for engineer to call, when he arrived it was the wrong part, so he reordered it, that was on Dec 12th, since then after repeated calls and a letter,( no reply) the part has still not arrived. I even e-mailed Dyson but had no reply. Thank you
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. If the contract you had with the firm include servicing and replacement parts then you can assume that they are responsible for arranging that. Failure to do so could amount to a breach of contract on their part. It is therefore possible to consider taking the natter further and seek compensation for the costs of obtaining a replacement part and the required labour, for example if you need to undertake the repairs elsewhere.

As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

  1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily do or pay what is due.

  2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the firm must be sent a formal letter asking them to act as per contract, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to resolve this. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

  3. If they fail to act or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.

I hope this clarifies your position? If you could please quickly let me know that would be great, as it is important for us to keep track of customer satisfaction. Thank you

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether you need further help or if I can close the question? Thank you

Customer: Yes thank you, ***** ***** send another letter to the company forthwith.
Ben Jones :

you are welcome, all the best

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you