How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Good Afternoon, I bought a property 24 years ago with a girl

This answer was rated:

Good Afternoon, I bought a property 24 years ago with a girl I was living with and she move to France and got married, I have come to remortgage the property and keep coming up against I need to give her address, which I cannot find. I have tried every avenue to contact her, I also do not know her married name. Please can you you advise how I can get over this problem. I have found another property that I wish to purchase and time is now against me. Again thank you for any help that you can give
Many Thanks
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What steps have you actually taken to try and find her?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have contacted one of her friend, who has also lost contact with her, I tried facebook and looked on many social media formats to no avail. I have also went to Islington to her old address on Upper Street, this was many years ago, and no one had any idea where she has gone. There was a friend of her`s that I have tried to contact, but found out that he has moved to Germany about 15 years ago.

I have been told that I need her married

What about her family members?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You Clare,

Jane had a sister that I beleive moved to Ireland, her name was Clare, she married a David Lynch, but I dont know where they lived, Her mother and father lived in the Midland, I have tried to locate them but no joy.

Have you tried Enquiry agents at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I spoke with someone who tried to contact Jane and they informed me that with the limited information that I had, they would be wasting their and my time. I am sorry, I wish I could be of more assistance.

I have been told to put and advert in the paper, but that seems to be of no point also

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

I can prove that I have paid the mortgage and Jane has not made a single payment at all. I dont know if this will help?

Just to check - you do understand that despite this your ex still has a financial claim on the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Which I would need to fight if the case should arise. I dont think it would come to this

Your starting point is to instruct an Enquiry Agent (Private Detective) to trace her.
Whilst you do not have a great deal of information you have sufficient to make it likely that she can be traced especially if she is back in the UK
If she is not then close family members can be traced and a skilful agent will be able to obtain her details from them
Once you have traced her then you will need to get her signature on all the sale documentation.
I will be honest you will have to consider offering her some financial consideration to do this as otherwise the Court proceedings will be prolonged expensive and despite your confidence there is a real possibility that she will still retain some small share of the equity.
The only other option available to you is to apply to the court for an Order for sale and for permission to go ahead in her absence - at which point the Court would order that 50% of the equity is held pending your ex having the chance to argue her case.
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you