Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law

We had a leasehold property and later bought the freehold title.

We had a leasehold property and later bought the freehold title. Can the lessor still sue us for breach of covenant?

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Could you please give me a little more information, as to what covenant has been breached?

Kind Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There have been additions to the property but the buyers MAIN concern is that he wants to make loads of additions and alterations to the property which require lessor consent. Is this still needed if we bought the Freehold?

Thanks for your reply.

The Buyer has absolutely nothing to worry about. As the Freehold is now owned by you, the previous Freeholder has no interest in the property at all- you, and once your Buyers have purchased, would in effect being suing yourselves!

On another side point, as you have now acquired the Freehold, all Leasehold covenants in the Lease are now obsolete.

I hope this clarifies matters.

Kind Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's brilliant thank you so much. Is there some law I can quote?

Hi- there is no case law or statute I can give you, I'm afraid.

All I can say is you now own the Freehold, so you can't sue yourself!!!

Kindest Regards