How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35052
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

, a friend of mine lost her husband last April. Her late

This answer was rated:

Hi, a friend of mine lost her husband last April. Her late husband wrote a will leaving the house to her. Unfortunately her late husband so called best friend is now making a claim against the house on behalf of her late husbands mum and dad who for a bizarre reason think they have a claim. Question is can they make a claim and what can they claim ie percentage
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What is the basis of the claim they are trying to make?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The mum and believe the will was poorly written and they deserve something from the property as their son originally bought the place but his wife has been living there for years , they married in 2011, dave died in 2014. The will leaves everything to his wife Lucy
Did they make any financial contribution to the house purchase?
How much is the house worth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No contribution, value approx £250,000
Then they will be foolish to challenge the Will
If for any reason the Will is not valid his wife inherits all the personal belongings and all the estate (unless there are children)
To get a share of the property the parents would have to show that they made a financial contribution to the property
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you