How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71057
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I paid rent to a gym as a personal trainer i did not

Customer Question

I paid rent to a gym as a personal trainer for time i did not occupy. Now they wont give me my money back. What can i do?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is there any reason you think you may be entitled ? Had you given notice?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes i gave notice as i was still in my trial period. However the confusion comes from when i was still in the army and was on my resettlement. i told the interviewer that i had a resettlement course i was attending of which i have proof, he then went on to start my trial period at the gym, which was during my resettlement course and as a result i had less of a trial period, in which i cancelled my contract within the period of six weeks, they took just over £500 from my account for 2 weeks, in which these 2 weeks i would have been on my resettelment course. all in all i did less than 4 weeks. so i shouldn't have had to pay rent

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
How much notice did you give and how much did they require?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The notice is instantaneous. if you are still in the 6 week trial period. So i just told them i was stopping and i stopped. the normal notice from then on however is 2 weeks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, i await your answer

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Do they accept that?
They accept the dispute is over the start date?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I emailed them a number of times and they just ignored me, it was only until i threatened to report them to the ombudsman i got a response, and all they said was they need proof i was on the course. to which i sent them. but there after i have not heard anything back. so yes i would think they agree the dispute is over the start date. but as for a dispute there isnt really one as they have just avoided correspondence. all i need is enough to scare them to give me my money back. what can i do?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Well, ultimately there is only one way to force a company to comply with the law if they refuse and that is to sue.
I suppose you could get a solicitor to write to them threatening to sue if they do not pay. I wouldn't suggest it. That would cost up to £100 plus VAT and you cannot recover it.
An alternative is to write them yourself making that threat which is free but obviously does not carry the same weight.
If that fails you can issue here
It is cheap enough to do that and the costs are reclaimable.
Can I clarify anything for you?