How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Are school consent forms legally binding ie you are signing

This answer was rated:

Are school consent forms legally binding ie you are signing to agree to pay for any damage, which may be caused by the misconduct or carelessness of your child, to the person/property of any other party?
If so would they have to prove that it is their fault or is it just a "we say it so it's true" kind of thing and if I believe that it wasn't my child at fault would there be repercussions if I refused to pay?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My daughter is going to high school in September and its a "generic school consent form" to cover school visit and off site activities, I am not happy to sign it if I am legally bound to pay for damage etc .because the school says my daughter is the cause. Especially if there is no proof or need to provide evidence that my daughter is the cause.

It doesnt really matter all that much what you sign.
Even if you refuse to sign it and do not do so there is still an argument in law that you are responsible for her actions and liable for their consequences essentially on the basis of negligence. You would have a defence possible on the basis that they are in loco parentis but it depends what she does.
If you do sign it then this really adds nothing to the existing law. The school cannot levy fines upon you or if they do then they can only enforce them by suing. They are subject to the law the same as everybody other entity.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you