How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71156
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have an issue with the property management of the flat that

This answer was rated:

I have an issue with the property management of the flat that I'm currently renting.Due to a leak 6 months ago the bathroom ceiling gathered mould. The property management hadn't taken action for more than 4 months and a month ago they came in to replace the plasterboard but instead they had only rubbed it to remove the mould. They insist that they have replaced it, but numerous pictures shoe the opposite.
The landlady is aware of all these and we both trying to push them to replace the plasterboatd but they just make up excuses.
What's the best action?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
I presume the landlady can't replace them without the permission of the property management?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not aware of that. She lives in NY so she has appointed a company to manage the property

I see.
This is a managing agent effectively.
Have you complained to Environmental Health yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No as I have been kind enough to wait.

The fact that the landlady has appointed an agent is not your problem. The plain fact remains that you are paying for a property which has mould. It is for the landlady to resolve the issues with the management agent.
You can complain to Environmental Health. That is free to do and also very effective if they take up the case.
If that fails then you can always do the work yourself and either withhold from rent or sue for the cost.
Another alternative is to seek a reduction in rent on the basis of disrepair. If the mould is severe then it would be worth doing so. Mould can be injurious to health apart from anything else.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you

The issue is that at the moment the mould has been cleared by rubbing the plasterboard, but that doesn't mean that it's not moulded from the inside