How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a issue I need clearing up if you could help me. Basically

This answer was rated:

Hi I have a issue I need clearing up if you could help me.
Basically my landlord has avoided doing jobs on the property for almost a year now, I finally got through and part of a job was done immediatly. However I was left with a live wire hanging out the wall tested by an electrician sharp tiles and mess plus tools left around the bathroom and glass shower doors lying around the property and to point out I have a 5 year old boy who tampers with things. I have always been on top of the rent and been a good tenant. Also my landlords staff tampered with the boiler and are not qualified to do so, after my boyfriend messaging saying he would take it through solicitors his responce was he know his stuff and his sons a solicitor, can you advise me what steps can be taken with legal thanks kimberley.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

What sort of tenant agreement do you have please?


Its a Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement Signed for 12 Months

Alex Watts : What is it you want to achieve please Kimberly ?

For this issues to be solved asap or to get out of the tennancy aggreement

Alex Watts :

Are they refusing to do the work?

Alex Watts :

Have you set out all the problems in writing yet?


not so much refusing just not on the ball getting it done a letter was emailed to the land lord and estate agents over a month ago with all the issues it took him a week to reply in which he came out straight away and ripped stuff out but since then been slack however i have all the texts sent to the landlord and his reply to us taking legal action if he does sort it was he knows his rights his sons a solicitor. But at the start of the tenency we had no electrical or gas check nor has there been any in the 18 months here so far i know there legally obliged to do these tasks and there maintainance staff have no qualifications for the work they do

Alex Watts :

Given what you have said I do not think it is serious enough to end the agreement.

Alex Watts :

But you need to get a number of quotes for getting the work done, this forms your loss.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a they do the work or pay you to get it done within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not hen you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you