How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71048
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Criminal Damage I have been charged with criminal damage to

This answer was rated:

Criminal Damage I have been charged with criminal damage to a vehicle and being reckless. I did not accept caution and did not feel paying the alleged victims for the alleged damage was the right step as I know that I haven't caused the damage and that The complaint if false.
I have been given a court date to attend magistrates court in 2weeks.The duty solicitor has agreed to represent me for a fee. What happens at the hearing I understand this is some sort of preliminary hearing. Will I need a barrister to represent me . What is the worst that could happen to me?the alleged damage has been estimated at £1500-damage to an old land rover (cost of vehicle £2500).I have no criminal history or cautions .I have to look after 2 small children and don't want to be sent to prison for something i haven't done(though I can afford to pay the damage).If the police didn't believe me despite ongoing harassment by the claimants(victims) , I feel disheartened that the judge or my own solicitor might not believe me.What are legal costs of defending such a claim in a magistrates court.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
You can self represent in any court. It is obviously better to have representation though but it does rack up the costs.
In terms of the worst that could happen you could be sent to prison for up to six months. That is not what will happen but it is the worst that could.
In terms of costs, if you went to court and lost then probably the court would order Crown's costs of roughly £400-£600.
If you are paying privately for your own solicitor then it could be several thousand. In fairness, there is almost certainly not very much to do in this case so the costs shouldn't be enormous.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you . I will be having legal representation as I do not know my rights and would feel reassured if there was a solicitor to cross examine the defence witnesses as there are two of them ( unless I am allowed to question/cross examine them myself in addition to the solicitor). .

My wife has witnessed this incident so I am hoping that court will allow her to be a defence witness

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have rated your answer as excellent and do appreciate that just answer and yourself and other professionals are available on a weekend and out of hours to answer complex questions for lay members of the public like me

No problem.
Let me know if I can help further.
All the best.