How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12183
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I falsley obtained 3500 from my employer by doing card refunds

This answer was rated:

Hi I falsley obtained 3500 from my employer by doing card refunds this was to pay for my late mums funeral bill I have admitted to it and refunded it all in full but they have contacted the police and I have an interview next week what could be the likely outcome
Thank you for your question.
Did you tell your employer before they found out or after?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They was investigating another couple of people at work and I was asked to look for visa slips knew they were mine so confessed rather than try and look for them because knew they wouldn't be found
What are your personal and family circumstances?
Do you have any previous convictions?
Why did you need to steal the money? Did your late mother have no estate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No previous convictions ever, late mum left no money for anything was trying to pay her debts and fell behind with mortgage did refunds over a few months to keep aflot and up to date with mortgage once paid and caught up with debts did no more refunds did them between March and sept last year then they stopped I am suffering with severe depression and have been referred for counselling cannot tell husband about debt as he has a temper and knows nothing about what is going on
You have good mitigation but at the same time your job involved a high degree of trust where you were handling customers money as well as that of your employer.
You should be aiming for a community service order of about a year but the judge will consider a custodial sentence.
Here are the sentencing guidelines for this type of offence for you to look at.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope that this answers your question. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you