How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I loaned a friend my car and now I am being charged with outstanding

This answer was rated:

I loaned a friend my car and now I am being charged with outstanding parking fines and a speeding event. The parking fines I have had communication with the council involved and they had set up a payment plan for the friend to pay. Now all of a sudden it appears to have come back to me. The speeding I informed the police about and I'm re chasing. Could I have advice on where to go to attempt to get this situation resolved. Kerry griffin
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
If you are the registered keeper of the car then you are liable for the parking fines. You can appeal them on the basis effectively that you were not the keeper at the time but you do need to raise fairly strong evidence of the loan and you must use the appeal's procedure. From what you say, you have not and therefore you are liable. You could sue your friend essentially on the basis of breach of contract to cover the losses relying on the argument that it was an implicit term in the agreement that you had that they would comply with the law.
The speeding matter is not your problem as long as you responded to the S172 request naming the driver and that person is insured. They will chase the correct driver if you have done so.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you