How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13329
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now

I own 66% of a new company. I gave away 1/3 of the company

This answer was rated:

I own 66% of a new company. I gave away 1/3 of the company to someone who has no money but was going to help the build company. He has now decided to leave the company to work for himself. The company has no value and except the debt to me. Someone wants to invest in the property but wants this shareholder to leave. Can I make them sell the shares at market value ?
Hi thanks for your question. I am afraid that unless you have a shareholders agreement or special articles adopted to cater for shareholders ceasing be employees then you have no right to require him to sell. There is no mechanism for compulsory purchase of minority shares without petitioning the court.
You may be better to set up a new company. Get legal advice before giving someone shares in a private company
Senior Partner and other Law Specialists are ready to help you