How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71040
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been issued with a county court summons debt(4236.50)

This answer was rated:

I have been issued with a county court summons for a debt(4236.50) to a limited company which I was a director of. I responded saying that the company was no longer trading and had no assets, as a sign of good faith I told the plaintiff to issue an invoice the my new limited company and I would try to have it paid. I have now received a judgement against me personally for the debt. How can the judgement be against me when the original debt was to a limited company. I cannot accept a CCJ, What is the best way to proceed?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Did you attend court to answer it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I was out of the Country
Ok. You would still have got the case? Are they saying that the limited company was a sham?
Also, I notice you have not yet left feedback for a previous answer so I wonder if you could do that now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No mention of a sham. Company traded profitably from 2005 to 2013. The judgement says: "the claimant objected to the rate of payment you offered, therefore the court has decided what you should pay".
Sorry for not completing feedback
No problem.
Did you submit a written defence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I stated that the company was no longer trading and has no assets and if the claimant re invoiced to my new company I would try to have it paid.

Thank you. If you don’t attend court, then judgement will be awarded against you in most cases.

You should apply to court to have the judgement set aside on the basis that you have a reasonable defence in that, you are a director of the limited company and you have no liability personally.

Apply on court form N244 for which the fee is £155

That will not get rid of it altogether but it will be deferred to a future hearing when you will be able to put forward your defence and counter any allegations made by the claimant.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you