How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

A supplier paid us by cheque.My colleague tried to pay it

This answer was rated:

Hi A supplier paid us by cheque.My colleague tried to pay it into the bank the bank was being difficult so he took it upon himself to change the payee on the chq.The bank accepted it but the suppliers bank flagged it up and they stopped the payment they are now refusding to pay us for the work as they say we have commited fraud.The mney is still clearly owed please help.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What was the point of changing the payee?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi my colleague tried to pay it into a different account I personally dont see the issue it did not effect the amount in anyway or whom they paid it just so happens that it was flagged by there bank.

No, but there are offences in changing a payee.
However, it doesn't have any impact on whether the money is due. Even if you take their argument at it's highest and he was trying to defraud, you were the victims rather than them.
They still owe you the money for the work. If they are so appalled at this conduct then they need to make a report to the police.
You can then sue them for the money plus costs and interest. They will not get away with using this as an excuse to fail to pay.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you