How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am renting a house, room-by-room. I have rented a room

This answer was rated:

Hi I am renting a house, room-by-room. I have rented a room to a couple. They paid 1 month in advance and 2 weeks deposit. I did a AST for 6 months. I took the contract away in order to photocopy it. I went to the house a week later to drop off some furniture. The tenant asked me for the copy and i told him I forgot it at hoe. He became very aggressive and started to argue. I left because he made me scared.
Now he keeps on pestering me for the copy of the contract, but I said to him we need to meet up and talk about it.He refuses to meet until i gave him the copy. I feel scared to see him and i want him out because of this.
What can I do? Can
Also do I have to give notice 24 hours before I bring someone to view the other rooms?
Can a member of my family live in one room?
If i live there, would that make them lodgers rather than tenants?

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what information do you need

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am still waiting for your answer.

Do you need more details?

I need to know what you would like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like to know the answer to my question which is: can i ask them to leave or do i have to get possession order. They want a contract. Do i have to give it to them?

Can a membet of my family go and live there?

If they are subject to an AST then you do need to give them a copy of the contract although if you did not it is not likely they would sue. That would not mean the contract doesn't apply though.
If these are self contained rooms then a family member can live in another one.
If you moved back to the property they would still be tenants as that was the position at the time that you rented to them.
You actually need to give them 48 hours notice if you intend to visit the property and they have the right to refuse if it is not convenient unless there is an emergency such as a gas leak.
If you want them to leave you will need a possession order and if they are on an AST then you will need to show S8 breaches. They cannot be asked to leave an AST unless they are in breach.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you